Over the past few months I would say a lot of people went out and bought dried or canned beans who usually didn’t buy or even eat them, was that you too?
I’m assuming it’s because people know they have a long shelf life and because everybody else went a little crazy with bulk buying the rice and pasta.
Next minute with all the food shortages from the Covid19 hysteria, you found yourself stocking up on on beans, they’re sitting in your cupboard and you’re wondering what on earth are you going to do with them.
Don’t worry, it’s a good thing and I’ll tell you why.
Creamy cannellinis, meaty garbanzos, sweet adzuki, tender pintos, and so many more beans are one of the most powerful, nutrient-dense plant foods around.
Beans are packed with tons of fiber, as well as plenty of iron and protein. They are rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients. Studies have found them to lower risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.
So let’s not these bad boys go to waste. If you have no idea what do with beans, then read on this might be just what you are looking for.
Here are some ideas on how to use beans in your meals:
- Toss beans and diced veggies (such as celery, shallots and capsicum) with vinaigrette for a quick bean salad.
- Blend cooked beans with tomatoes, onions, and your favourite seasonings to create a yummy bean soup.
- Top a green salad with 1/3 cup of your favourite bean.
- Puree beans with a bit of olive oil, a garlic clove, salt, and your favourite seasonings. Voila! A fast dip or sandwich spread.
- Include 1/3 cup of beans with your other favourite toppings next time you make stuffed baked potatoes or sweet potatoes.
- Add 1/4 cup pureed beans to your favourite pancake, waffle, muffin, or cake recipe. You’ll be surprised at how moist and springy baked goods are when baked with beans.
Be sure to avoid canned beans with added salt or preservatives and rinse thoroughly once removed from the can.
I’m not one of those health coaches that love to create recipes but I’m definitely passionate about eating. Follow me on my Instagram to see what’s on my plate @merly_hartnett